Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Our 4 Year Anniversary

Sorry this is so late now! Work and mothering has taken up so much of my time recently. But I have many posts waiting for you so be ready! :)

-------------


Let me start this off by saying that this was not my best anniversary gift. And Max has been very supportive in my failings. I had a super cute idea but my execution was...lacking. One day I will learn that my mother is always right.

So what happened you ask...

Well as you well know this year was flowers and fruit. I wanted to come up with something creative and cute outside of a simple bouquet or edible arrangement. I came up with a super cute idea. I was going to fill a vase with skittles and put a single flower for each flavor/color and attach a little love note to each one. For instance the yellow sunflower would say "Lemons may be sour but you're oh so sweet!". Cute right? Everyone at worked loved it, I was going to win.

I love giving presents and I'm usually pretty good at it.

Year 1: paper flowers with love notes, hand crafted.

Win.

Year 2: Custom cotton t-shirt that he still wears without being asked to.

Win.

Year 3: Custom leather luggage tags that are currently attached to this bags and he uses whenever he travels.

Win.

I was so excited for my plan. But where do you get single flowers in every color of all different varieties. Your standard grocery store only sells bouquets, hardware stores like Lowes or Home Depot only sell planting flowers, and general stores like Target and Walmart are a crap shoot. This meant I needed a florist. Well a local florist isn't something that most people use anymore so where could I find one.

Google.

I was on my lunch break and thought I could at least find a florist and get an idea on pricing and what they had before Friday when I really needed them. I thought I would start with the closest one and move my way out. Now for those that don't know, I work in Scottsdale. Whether you are from AZ or not you will know Scottsdale for it's richness. Rich people, sports people, famous people, did I already say rich people, all live there. This means there are small cute boutiques, hi-end stores, and custom shops. A pencil probably costs $100. I was expecting to find a florist that only did weddings, or would only sell exotic flowers from far away lands. But what I found was amazing. It was still small, a boutique, a custom shop but it was fantastic and perfect.

I found P.V. Florist


The greatest florist there ever was. The store is very small and tucked away beside other larger ones. As far as I could tell there was no sign until you got right up to it and the front door is a solid wood door that made you feel as if you were walking into someone's home. Which is exactly what you were doing.

Immediately when I walked in I thought I was in the wrong place. It was a small store which in my naive head meant that they only did events and didn't sell individual arrangements. But right when I was about to turn around and walk out the bells on the door clanged and Suki Jandu, Proprietor and Designer, came running out of the back. I hesitated and thought "CRAP!" Now I have to tell her my whole stupid idea and why I'm there and she'll have to explain that she can't help me and fight back laughter as I walk away." But I was wrong.

I told her I was looking for individual stems in every color. She immediately started pulling out the roses. I sighed and told her I didn't want all roses if it was at all possible. She did a double take at her fridge and then turned to me and asked what I wanted them for. I decided I would tell her the whole idea and she could tell me if I was insane or not. And maybe just maybe she could have some great ideas.

She told me it was the cutest thing she had ever heard. She started pulling daises, thistles, roses, some giant green puff thing, and sun flowers. The last color on our list was orange. I didn't see anything in the case and was prepared to surrender and buy pink or something. She then pulled out a GIGANTIC orange rose (pretty sure it's a rose, I'm really losing my girl cred here). PERFECT! She sorta stared at it a moment and inspected it. She then put it on the counter and said it was on her because it was already open and wilting ever so slightly. I was amazed!


She rang me up and the price came in WAY under what I was expecting like way way under. And there are only 6 colors in the rainbow and 6 flowers looks kinda sad. So I told her I would gladly double it and take two of each color. She grabbed all the extras for me and added two extra orange roses those ones also for free! I told her I worked right around the corner and that this cute little shop was such a surprise and that I was so glad she would treat me so kindly when I was probably her smallest customer ever.

When she heard that my anniversary wasn't until the next day and that I worked right around the corner she offered to keep the flowers in her fridge until I could pick them up Friday again at no extra charge. She's amazing.

When I went to the pick them up Friday, the day I had to work all night, she asked me how my day was going. I told her about the late late night that was headed my way and that I probably wouldn't be home until 10ish. She asked me what I was going to do with the flowers. I told her there was a fridge at work and if they didn't fit I would just keep them at my desk and they would be fine enough until I got home. She looked the orange ones over again and told me to keep the vase she stored them in to make sure they stayed fresh for my husband. This too was at no extra charge.


She took better care of me then I do. I can't recommend this place enough.

Earlier that day I had bought the skittles and was ready to put the two together. My mother had come up with a variety of ideas of how to use the skittles without putting the flowers in them. She thought maybe I could put the skittles in baggies then put them in the vase so the flowers could still have water. Or put them in a bowl around a vase in the middle. All with the goal that the flowers would never leave water. But I told her it would be fine and that they would only be out of water and in the skittles for a few hours.

I was wrong.

Once I got home Friday night around 10 I showed Max what I had made and we immediately went to bed. I was exhausted, he was tired from watching Jack and we crashed. The flowers had no water expect skittle wetness for 6ish hours. Whoops. They were droopy and wilty when we woke up and I felt terrible! All that hard work, all that effort and such cute varieties that I hoped max would get to enjoy. It's not every day you get a bouquet with thistle in it. They weren't dead but they weren't as vibrant.

My mother is always right. O well, Max still liked them for awhile.


Max got me a beautiful bouquet of calla lilies and roses and they are so gorgeous! Calla lilies are my favorite and what we used for our wedding; he's so thoughtful :).

The rest of our anniversary was pretty low key. We dropped Jack of at the grandparents before dinner and headed out. We decided to go to dinner and a movie since it's pretty cheap but not only did we do that we killed two birds with one stone and went to the AMC Dinner Theater.

This is every parent's dream. You can sit at the bar and order drinks before your movie. Then take your drinks into the theater and order and eat dinner while you sit in enormous comfy chairs. They also have a call button for your server and you can still put the arm up if you want to cuddle. But let's be honest no parent is giving up precious "me" space ;-).

We ended up seeing Zootopia because my husband knows me too well. He saw right through my "I don't care; we can see whatever you want" ploy. I'm a child at heart, I won't deny it. It was a super cute movie and I highly recommend it to anyone with or without kids.

After the movie we headed back to get Jack and then home to crash. We really are an old married couple now. But it was exactly what we were hoping for. It was a perfect anniversary.

I can't wait to spend another year growing old together.


Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment