Monday, August 15, 2016

Sewing School

Last Thursday was my first day of school!

Well sort of...

Way back in May for Mother's Day Max (and Jack) gave me sewing lessons! I have been a self taught sewer ever since I got my Nana's sewing machine 3 years ago. I loved it as soon as I started. My mom has been my main source of information as well as youtube and trial by fire. But nothing I made ever made it to the next level; it never had the umph I was looking for. So being the wonderful husband that he is Max found a place that gave lessons and signed me up.

And last Thursday was my first day at The Sewing Asylum!


I felt like a kid. I was nervous about all the other people liking me, I didn't know my teacher, and I had no idea where I was going or what to do.

My biggest worry; however was that I wasn't good enough. I am an accountant after all, and we aren't known for our creativity (and if we are it's probably not a good thing). I thought everyone there would be working on grand ball gowns, detailed quilts, or super fancy embroidery and I'd be there like "hey can I make a skirt, that's only two pieces right?".

Max proceeded to make fun of me and tell me that only I would worry about not being good enough for lessons. I guess I'm still a 12 year old girl at heart.

I walked in and tried not to be shy or embarrassed that I had a sewing machine from 1950 while everyone else had newer fancier ones. I set up and tried to ignore my own thoughts. I distracted myself by looking around the shop and listening in to the general hum of conversations. To start off the shop is small but super cute. It has plenty of notions and fabric and one long table for machines and three cutting tables. It's actually pretty perfect and it makes me long for the days of my craft room.

Once class started the instructor / owner, Erica, was quick to get me set up and introduced, which I greatly appreciated. I brought a pattern along because frankly I wasn't sure what to bring and that seemed like a good place to start :).


(I'm doing view B. I can't wait to see it finished!)


I told her I haven't really sewn anything post pregnancy so getting measured was priority #1. Shen then told me to use a pattern like 2 sizes larger than I thought! I wasn't upset by being bigger, I had a baby who cares. I was more shocked that I was so far off base. I guess that's why I'm there.

She then told me the single greatest piece of advise I had ever received. IRON THE PATTERN PIECES. Ok for those that don't sew, patterns are printed on super super super thin tissue paper and it's folded like a billion ways to Sunday and un-folding it takes a pure act of God. This is the main reason I gave up on patterns and started making my own things. Also ironing a thin piece of paper seemed like a fire hazard, but she assured me I wouldn't burn down her adorable shop. And of course she was right. I now had perfectly flat pattern pieces. I would pay for lessons all over again just for that.

I spent the rest of the night pinning, cutting and sewing a few pieces together.

And of course Max was right too. I made friends and no one hated me or seemed to judge me. We swapped stories and gossiped the night away. I have to say I'm super excited for my next lesson this week!

And I can't wait to share the beautiful dress I am sure to have by the end of this ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment