Saturday, May 9, 2015

Jack's Birth - Part 2

There isn't much left to say about his birth but I thought some women might like to know how the recovery process starts in the hospital since that's the part no one will ever talk to you about.

They put Jack in my arms and wheeled me up to my room. This room was much smaller but still comfortable. It had a few chairs, my bed, bassinet for Jack, and a private bathroom.


Then the nurses come in and get you all set up. They take you to the bathroom where you have to pee into a cup like thing in the toilet so they can measure it. Then the nurse bends down and sprays you with a bottle of hopefully warm water. Now I knew they were going to be in there with me to make sure I didn't fall or do something stupid but I was not aware she would be face deep down there spraying me with a bottle. Then they put a GIANT pad in some amazingly comfortable mesh underwear and load it up with all sorts of numbing and soothing pads, sprays and foamy stuff. This may seem like over kill at the moment but OMG it's so helpful. They also fill a baby diaper full of ice and put it down there. I was super nervous for this because I don't do well with cold but it actually felt amazing.


Every once in a while the nurses will come in to "check" you. What this really means is they'll come in ask about your pain level, then proceed to push on your uterus as they look at your lady bits as if they are expecting another baby to pop out while they push. They also ask about your bleeding and if you have been farting regularly. Now I thought this was weird. Not to say I wasn't farting, I was surprised how much I was and even felt a little embarrassed but apparently the lack of farting can delay your discharge from the hospital. Needless to say I didn't have that problem. They also ask if you have gone poop yet. I just had a baby less than 24 hrs. ago lady, no...pooping is not on my priority list. Also it's likely that I already went giving birth to that little worm and now you want me to do it again so soon! This did not happen.


As far as things related to baby care; it was a bit up and down for us. Jack was a pretty easy baby, he passed his hearing test, did fine on the Jaundice test, and even slept pretty great at night. But the boy just wouldn't pee! Newborns are supposed to pee at least once in the first 24 hrs. This didn't happen. The pediatrician that came to check him out said that if he didn't pee in the next 4 hrs. they would have to do an ultrasound to make sure everything was in working order. Of course this meant he peed 3.5 hrs. later; giving us all a heart attack.

The hospital also gives you a feeding schedule sheet where you track when and for how long you are feeding him. It also has a place to mark down dirty/pee diapers. Now don't think that if you don't breastfeed you don't have to do this. It has a space for formula and how much too. They take this sheet and mark it when they take him for weight checks. Also be warned that if you ask for help with breastfeeding; that will mean a nurse will grab your boob, sandwich it, and rub your nipple across your baby's mouth. They will also move and adjust his lips and your nipple if his latch isn't perfect. They will also show you how to hold him for the best latch. This is super helpful but super awkward. Though after having some spray water on your swollen lady bits as you bleed out and pee on a toilet, I guess this isn't so bad.


All in all the recovery process was a lot better than I thought it would be; and that's all because the nurses were WONDERFUL. They answered all my new mom stupid questions without a smirk or giggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment