Tuesday, May 19, 2015

My Hospital Bag

I forgot to take a picture of my bag so this is an example pulled from Google


When I was pregnant (so weird to say WAS) I remember scouring pinterest for lists of things to include in my hospital bag. So I thought I would throw my 2 cents in before I forget what I packed and what I used.

Packed:
  • Going home clothes
  • Nursing bra
  • Flip flops
  • Headbands
  • Bobby pins
  • Deodorant
  • Robe
  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • Nursing pillow
  • Breast pump
  • Baby's going home outfit
Used:
  • ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
Now I know what you're thinking, how could I possibly not have used anything?! So let me explain:

I did use the going home clothes for me and Jack obviously but that was it. The hospital gown was deciently soft and had snaps all down the shoulders for nursing so a bra and my robe were not necessary. Now if you felt uncomfortable in the hospital garb then by all means use what you want. But I warn you, you will be bleeding and nursing a lot. Fluids will be coming out of you that you swear couldn't have all fit inside of you. So getting their clothes messy and not mine was really appealing to me.

I walk around barefoot everywhere...well pretty much. I toss of my shoes when at home, I kick them off under my desk at work, and don't even consider putting them on when I run outside to grab the mail. So wearing shoes or the non-slip socks they gave me wasn't even on my mind. I walked the couple feet to the bathroom barefoot and took a shower barefoot. But again if you are scared of germs or anything this might not be your preferred choice.

The toiletries I probably should have used but I was so exhausted and everyone had already seen my post-birth matted hair that I just didn't care enough to do anything about it. I did take a quick shower with the provided shampoo/conditioner/soap they provided but made no attempt to do anything after like brush my hair or teeth or anything.

Remember you are only in the hospital 24-48 hours after a vaginal birth or 3-4 days after a C-section so it's really not that long in the grand scheme of things.

What you should really bring to the hospital is whatever you damn well feel like. If you want your own clothes because that's make you comfortable and forget about the terrible horrific things that are going on down there then by all means. If flip flops makes your in hospital shower that much better then pack them in. Whatever will get you through those moments grab it.

I know this is not what you were expecting but I hope it puts all those lists into perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment