Wednesday, March 18, 2015

3 Year Wedding Anniversary - Leather

Today is Max and I's 3rd year wedding anniversary!!

Since we got married right out of college and didn't have (and still don't have) any money to speak of I decided that instead of doing the awkward, stressful, expensive dinner date we would use the traditional year gifts and come up with some funny, goofy, and meaningful gifts on the cheap.

So with a few years behind us now I thought I would share what I did for Max and some other ideas to help inspire all of the other poor nerdy married couples out there.

Now, Max was skeptical the first couple of years so he didn't participate and went with an expensive dinner the first year and lingerie the second. He must have thought I was trying to trap him and thought I meant "Give me nice things" when I said "Let's do fun cheap presents!" I guess it's better than him completely forgetting :).


1. Year one was paper. I gave Max a bouquet of paper flowers. It was a little awkward to hand him a bouquet of paper flowers with cute messages on them as I was dressed for a super fancy dinner; but to be fair I did tell him.

 Some other ideas for paper are: a card or notebook, these are simple but thoughtful. Or for the creative cupcake liners or paper lanterns, and for the funny or goofy you could always do toilet paper, paper towels or napkins. Maybe write a message on the toilet paper for them to find in the morning.

2. Year two was cotton. I gave him a custom t-shirt from Zazzle with a quote from his favorite Disney movie Emperor's New Grove (see amazing t-shirt below). Leading up to this year I decided to prepare him for what I was getting him. I warned him that it might be a bouquet of cotton balls, an adult onesie with a monogrammed butt flap , a pillow case, socks, a robe, etc.

I thought with hints like those he would definately know I wasn't kidding this time. Well he heard this and must of thought, "It's ok if she get's me those things but I can't get her that kind of a gift, she'll kill me. No I better do something else." On our anniversary he opened his box which had, and let's be honest here, an AWESOME t-shirt inside and his face was priceless. He read the shirt and giggled and then looked at me with a goofy smile and said, "Well...I went in a different direction." I opened my box to find beautiful sexy lingerie. It was quite a different direction and not the funny cotton present we discussed. But it was cotton and it was beautiful, so I couldn't fault him too much. And besides we get use out of both items ;).

3. This year is leather. I haven't given him his gift yet so I won't say what I got him (nice try Max), but I will give you some ideas. Etsy is a great place to find cheaper versions of your favorite leather items. Or make your own; craft stores and fabric stores sell leather. Buy a small piece and staple some paper in the middle to make a custom notebook. Or if you sew grab some pieces and make your own wallet or bag. If your looking for something a little funnier try to find a cow hide pillow or something. There are so many options.

I can't believe I have already been married for 3 years! Max is a wonderful husband and truly my best friend :). I can't wait to spend many more years together.

No comments:

Post a Comment