Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Disposable Diaper Battle - Huggies, Pampers, Luv's and Target Brand

During Jack's short life so far I think we have gone though a boat load of diapers. And as any parent will tell you, it only gets worse. Yay, I can't wait.

But because of the generosity of others Jack has used various types of diapers in this short time; Huggies, Luvs, Pampers, and Target Brand. This puts us in a unique position to really know which diapers we like and which ones we don't without having to spend the money to find out. So I thought I would pass on what we have learned to hopefully save you some money too.

So without further delay...THE DISPOSABLE DIAPER BATTLE:

Huggies - Size 1 Little Snugglers
These are probably my favorite though they are really close to the Pampers Swaddlers. First I love the wetness indicator, that way I can tell if his diaper's wet. I know this gets less necessary as Jack gets older and it becomes more obvious but for right now it's really handy. Plus, I'm not going to lie, having a blue strip stare at me through a light colored onesie makes me more apt to change him quickly rather than after say, pulling my hair out or screaming. Second they are super soft and don't have that blue leak guard stuff in them which I like because it's less likely to give him a rash. They also don't stick to his butt when you pull them off. They are contoured to fit like many other diapers and the inner walls that stop the blow outs are nice and high and stay in place as he wiggles so blow outs are a thing of the past unless it's just a poop apocalypse, then nothing can stop that :).


Huggies - Size 1 Snug & Dry
These are the same as the Huggies Snugglers except they have the blue leak guard protection stuff and no wetness indicator. While the blue stuff does work and they don't leak the blue gel seems to give Jack a rash almost every time I use them. They also stuck to his skin and needed to be peeled off at every diaper change. You can imagine how much Jack liked this. I felt so bad for his little raw butt. So I would suggest these only for babies that don't have sensitive skin.







Pampers - Size 1 Swaddlers

These too are really similar to the Huggies Snugglers. They are super soft and don't have the blue leak guard stuff that induces diaper rashes. They are contoured a little less to a babies shape so they seem like they would leak more. We didn't have any leak problems but we only had a few diapers so our sample size isn't great. They also have the wetness indicator which we know I really like. The price of these are the same as Huggies so it really comes down to the quality of the diaper and not just price.




 
Target Up & Up - Size 1
These are the real surprise. I tried these while on a week long vacation to my parents house. We didn't want to pack that many diapers and thought it easier to just buy some when we got there. Because it was only a week and we only needed a small pack I decided to try the Target brand so I would know for the future without having to spend a lot of money. This was a great decision! The diapers seemed slim and not really absorbent when I opened the package but I was so wrong. The inner walls are really high and really tight so they hold A LOT. They are also more contoured than they seem. So far we have had ZERO leaks and he has had plenty of poop opportunities. They also have the wetness indicator and the soft non diaper-rashy layer inside. Jack sleeps anywhere from 3-6hrs at night and we haven't had a single leak or diaper rash yet. They hold a lot. They are also significantly less expensive.



Luv's - Size 1 Ultra Leakguards
 
These diapers are my least favorite. First off they have this TERRIBLE chemical smell when you open the box. My first thought was "OMG they have gone bad", immediately followed by "Can diapers go bad?"  I did a lot of research and found out the smell is normal, which didn't make me feel that much better, and that they seem to have a high rate of diaper rash. Well that terrible chemical smell seems to scream diaper rash so that wasn't too surprising. But because they were a gift and free I felt obligated to use them and save the money. I opened the bags to air them out, airing out diapers was not something I thought I would ever do but oh well. I figured if they started to give my son a rash I would stop using them. On day 2 he pooped out of the leg hole. When I opened the diaper to change him I found out there wasn't really that much poop inside but that the leg hole had collapsed. The poop came out and got all over my mom's arm and shirt for nothing. I thought it was a one time thing and didn't make too much of it. But it has happened several times now and it's always out of the leg hole. The side wing barrier things don't seem to hold up and keep their shape, leaving the poop no where to go but out and all over everything we own. So far he hasn't gotten a rash so that's really good. So if you treasure your expensive baby items and would like to keep them poop free as long as possible I don't recommend these diapers. They are contoured pretty well but that shape just doesn't hold up. Maybe as he get's chunkier and acquires leg rolls the contour will fit better and keep the poop in but right now they don't fit so great. 

I hope this review was helpful, but remember every baby is different and will react differently to different diapers.

Do you guys have different feelings on these diapers or suggestion on other kinds? I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

  1. Check out "The honest company" if you want another comparison. They deliver diapers to a place of residence and offer their own brand of diapers which I think are great and affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also really like the Costco Kirkland brand diapers! You should check those out!

    ReplyDelete