Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Geocaching

So I know I'm like 15 years behind on this but I totally forgot geocaching existed until I was reading about someone else's adventures online. I thought it would be a fun easy way for us, Jack and I especially, to get out of the house without spending money. And who doesn't love a treasure hunt?

So I signed up online and looked around on the map to find the closest one to our house. It's still a billion degrees here so somewhere quick and easy was a must. So I picked one at the local park which is literally two streets away.

But that night when I told Max about my sweet weekend plan he suggested instead of going to the sunny park we take a short flat hike in our local mountain preserve (Near Shaw Butte Mt. for you locals). And at that time of day the whole trail would be in the shade of the mountain, thank God. Well there obviously was a geocache location at the end of the trail so of course I said we had to find it. Max was this close to getting out of this nerdy treasure hunt, but I wasn't giving up that easy :)

This was also Jack's first time in the hiking backpack! He is so good at holding his head up and sitting/standing that we thought we should give it a try. He was perfect! It held him nice and snug and he could look around. And isn't he just the cutest!



The trail was super easy and the dogs just loved getting out of the backyard. It's hard in the summer to get them out since it's so hot, so this was perfect. Max and I also got a chance to talk and just be together. At home we are usually either so busy dealing with a Jack crisis or so tired that we don't spend as much time talking or hanging out. So this was like going on a date :).


We finally got to the end of the trail and it was time to find the treasure. The map inside the phone app did a pretty good job of telling us where it was down to like 15-10 feet. We almost gave up because it was supposed to be under a rock and in Arizona that's prime rattle snake housing. But I mustered up some bravery and moved some rocks and found it!


I know this is super nerdy, surprise surprise, but I highly recommend this to anyone that is looking for a simple, easy, free way to get outside without much effort.

Enjoy!



Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment